One of those “I’ll get around to it” jobs has been upgrading my wife’s laptop. She’s been happily running an old version of Ubuntu for some time now on an ancient Thinkpad without any real issues. Then very recently she ran into problems with uploading photographs to Snapfish. The culprit was clearly an update to Flash, but I decided since she wasn’t getting security updates any more, it was probably better to upgrade her to the latest 12.04 LTS version of Ubuntu to fix the problem.
Unfortunately she didn’t have enough spare disk space to go through a series of upgrades (this machine has an old 30GB hard drive!) so really this meant a hardware upgrade, and a proper reinstall too. However, as I was feeling a bit more awake today (and the weather was awful) this seemed like a good little task to take on. So I backed up the system to my server, found an old 80GB 2.5″ PATA drive in my spares box, and set to.
As with all Thinkpads, making hardware upgrades is fairly straightforward. Pop out one screw, and the drive assembly slides out the side. Remove another four screws from that assembly to separate the drive from it’s cage and plastic bezel. Swapping in the higher capacity drive was a simple matter of reversing the process.
This machine only has a USB 1.1 port, so I did the Ubuntu install from a CD, rather than my normally preferred USB memory stick. It’s a lot noisier than using the memory stick, but has an identical effect – I was soon running the latest version of Ubuntu. A quick update cycle got me the latest security fixes, and then I added in some key additional packages, sorted out the printer and wireless network accesses, and then restored all the user data that I’d backed up earlier.
Which was great, but Snapfish still didn’t work. It seems that Adobe Flash doesn’t work on 12.04 LTS either. Drat.
So after a bit more reading, it all became clear. Adobe don’t follow the normal Linux approach of issuing a specific version of their software with a given OS release, and then only providing security fixes to it. Instead, they regularly issue their current, latest code to all the different operating systems that they support. This means that when they introduce a bug, you get it on all the versions of all their supported operating systems.
Except in this case, just to make it more confusing, it seems that some people are seeing one set of problems, and others another, while some people are seeing no problems at all. And Adobe are apparently not particularly interested, as they don’t see supporting Linux as a priority.
So in the end, after a great deal of reading various forums on the Internet, it became increasingly clear that there was no clear fix for the problems that Adobe appear to have introduced in their latest code. Ultimately, it seems that the simplest solution is to just back-level the Flash plugin in the browser to an earlier version that doesn’t exhibit these problems.
To do this, I downloaded the archive of previous Adobe Flash plugins, which can be found here: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html. I chose the v220.127.116.11 releases (174 MB), and extracted the Linux version, which is packaged as a shared library called libflashplayer.so. By searching the /usr tree I found that (in my case) there was a single copy of this library already installed in /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so, which I then replaced with the back-level version.
After restarting Firefox, Adobe Flash now works normally again, and we can bulk upload photos to Snapfish again. Clearly this hack will be overwritten if Adobe issues a new version of the flash plugin, but that’s probably what we want to happen anyway.